If you are looking for an effective, ready formula, which will help you quickly create a story book, you’ve found / out in the right place.
It is worth noting that there are many ready-made templates for the plot of the novel, and this is only one of them. However, it is available in a free program that you can legally download to your computer and which will also help you plan your dream novel. Sounds good?
A brief introduction
If you’ve used Evernote before, go ahead and skip this section, but if this is your first time working with it, you’ll find a quick start here.
Let me point out straight – this is not an advertisement for this program!
- The Evernote program is designed to create notes on various devices (laptops, smartphones, and tablets) – it allows us to add text, photos, video, audio, links, links to other files in the program, and even handwritten notes.
- It is available in Polish.
- In this article, I describe the options available only in the free version – no need to buy anything. You can download it for free here (manufacturer’s official website): https://evernote.com/intl/pl.
Why am I using this program?
I’ve come across Evernote in articles that recommended useful writing tools or help create the story of a book. In fact, it is a really useful tool for organizing all sorts of notes about non fiction ghostwriting projects that have so far been scattered all over the drive in my laptop and its virtual one – the Google drive. However, none of these articles described the feature that I personally found most useful. Built-in note templates are a very interesting option that will help you quickly write down a plan or even create the entire story of the book.
How to create a story for a book in Evernote – the first step
- After selecting “New Note”, a window similar to this should open.
- After selecting the “Template” option, a full list of them will open. I chose the “Creative Writing” category.
- In my opinion, it is worth starting with the “Story Sheet”.
- In each of the sheet templates, it will find a description that indicates how you can use it. Personally, I highly recommend adjusting them to your own needs – add information that you find helpful, and give up information that you know will not bring anything new.
- The same template in a version tailored to my needs looks like this:
- At the beginning I would complete the above “plot sheet” with only basic information such as “draft title”, “genre”, “outline” and “link to sketches” or “links to notes related to the project”. More information will become available as the next stages of this book are completed.
- Warning! After selecting the option in the upper right corner of the screen, you have the option of saving your version of the document as a template for future use – this is not an option not available in the free version!
I believe that regardless of whether you want to use this program and this template, before you start creating the story of a book, it is worth preparing a file that will help organize all notes and files related to this novel (in my experience there are always more than one file where you are actually writing the book).
How to Create an Outline of a Story in 30 Minutes
Select “Story Outline Sheet”:
- This is a worksheet that will help you prepare all the basics about your story. For me, this is the first step in creating a storyline for a book that will be a detailed plan of what will happen in your novel.
- If you already have a vision of what your novel should look like, preparing such a plot outline will take you about 0.5 hours to an hour of work. However, if you only have a very general idea for your novel, it is worth spending a lot more time on it – it is much easier to establish the basics at this stage than to change the entire plot of the book in the future.
Heroes of your novel
There are many different schools in this area. Some assume basing the whole plot of the book on the main character (it is almost necessary in psychological novels) – then preparing such a character profile can be extremely helpful before we write down specific events.
However, it is worth saying that the sheets of specific heroes are not necessary to create the plot of the book. It is up to you which stage you will deal with the characters in your book and how detailed the questionnaires you will create. I believe that it is worth supplementing them also while writing the book, thanks to which they will serve as a “cheat sheet” when describing specific features of the characters in the course of the novel.
Worksheet to help you create the story of the book
This is the last sheet that will guide you step by step through creating the story of the book. You will find the classic 3-act structure in which:
- Act I introduces you to the world of novels and main events,
- Act II contains the development of the action and the so-called “Punk with no turning back” and “turning point”,
- Act III consists of, inter alia, “Climax” and the end of the story.
If you are looking for ready-made patterns that will make the process of planning a novel easier and more enjoyable, this is one of the solutions you should use.