Examination tables, also known as treatment tables, are universally used and required health care tool. Having an examination table makes the whole procedure convenient for both the patient and medical staff. With increasing load on the healthcare sector, demand of these tables has also increased substantially. These tables not only provide support to the patient but also help in avoiding problems like spinal disorders, backpack and neck pain in doctors and nurses. It also helps the practitioners to focus on the patient without worrying about their discomfort.
Usually having a one-time use sheets or rolls of paper on which patients sit or lie on, examination tables are often found to be laid with new sheets with a new patient as the paper is discarded after the patients gets up.
Other major purposes of examination tables are
- A patient can sit or lie comfortably, depending on the nature of treatment
- It helps patients maintain a fixed posture for a long time
- The leg rest, backrest and height can be adjusted as per the requirement of the patient
- Reduces the risk of misdiagnosis
- Risk of injuring oneself also decreases
- Is convenient for both the patient and the medical staff as the treatment tables are more adaptable to the requirements of both doctor and patients
Types of examination tables
There are many types of examination tables available in the market, today. It includes manually adjustable tables, power adjustable tables, static tables, mat tables and pediatric tables.
Some of the popular ones based on the mentioned mechanisms are:
- Spring back exam table: it has anti-slip treaded surface and spring-assisted back for more comfort. These examination tables have multiple drawers, offer more comfort and has a long shelf-life.
- Pillow top adjustable treatment table: The backrest is adjustable and has a cushioned pillow for increased comfort level. It can support patients with weight of up to 500 pounds. The steel frame provides unparalleled support.
- Space saver examination table: This table is most commonly seen in budgeted clinics. It occupies less space as it has fold-down head and footrests. It is available in many different colors.
- High low examination table: It can be moved from less height to more. And can store a lot of equipment and other required things in the drawers/cabinets. It has unique chair-to-table design.
- Easy to assemble treatment table: It has an all-steel frame. It also offers additional customizable options and is cost-effective.
Traits of a good treatment table
If you are planning to buy or avail services of a hospital, make sure the treatment table has the following features:
- Flexibility: It is best to look for flexibility while buying a treatment table that suits the requirements of each patient in a desired way. Not all patients want to sit or lie down. Table that can adjust as per the requirements, regardless of height or weight of the patient, is the best type of treatment table.
- Accessibility: Even those on wheelchairs should be able to access the treatment table. Hence, a height-adjustable table can help greatly in this regard.
- Space: In some clinics or hospital rooms, space may or may not be a problem. However, regardless of that, to streamline things, treatment tables should have space to keep a stepping stool beneath it or a cabinet to keep other accessories. This also ensures a neat and proper utilization of space.
- Storage: Treatment bed should have enough storage space to access the material quickly, when required. Added storage space is always an added advantage.
- Cleanliness: Some treatment tables have antibacterial paint or microbial guard to keep it clean and hygienic. A treatment table with a laminate base is easy to clean and is also an attractive aspect of a well-maintained and hygienic treatment bed.
- Strength: It should be strong enough to bear the load of a person of any weight.
Above mentioned points will help you to know everything about doctor examination tables