Set up of a Linksys router with a cable internet service can be done either by configuring your router’s setting manually or by inserting the installation CD. For Linksys smart WiFi routers and Linksys WiFi routers, it is recommended to use ‘Linksys Connect Software’. In order to know the steps for Linksys Initial Setup using smart wizard, follow the steps given below.
In this post, we will guide you on how to set up your Linksys Smart WiFi Router using the smart setup wizard.
Important TIP: The Smart Setup is supported by all Linksys Smart WiFi Routers.
Benefits of Smart Setup
- Here, you do not need a CD or additional software to set up the Linksys smart WiFi router.
- During the setup process, you will have the option to directly access the router’s web-based setup page.
NOTE: The CD included in the packaging does not contain any setup software nor show Status of Linksys Extender. It only carries your router’s documentation.
Requirements before setting up a Linksys router
The following requirements supposed to be met in order to avoid problems during the setup process:
Browser Requirements for Linksys Smart WiFi access and router setup:
- Microsoft Edge
- Internet Explorer 8 or higher
- Latest version of Chrome and Mozilla Firefox
- Safari for Mac or iPad
- Latest Adobe Flash Player
Moreover, you should have following items for Setup:
- Linksys Smart WiFi Router
- One or two Internet / Ethernet cables
- A computer with an Ethernet Port or a wireless computer
Active and Reliable Internet Connection
To check whether you are able to access the internet, connect the modem to the computer using an Ethernet cable.
Begin the Smart Setup Wizard
- If your WiFi router came with external antennas, then connect the antennas to the router first and after that plug it into an electric power source. On the other hand, if your router has a power switch, make sure that the power on properly.
- Connect the modem to the internet port of the WiFi router and connect it to your wireless network (secured).
- To avoid any problems during the setup process, make sure that you have a good internet connection coming out of the main router.
- After that, launch your web browser and enter extender.linksys.com in the Address bar.
Important TIP: In case, you are unable to launch the smart setup, enter the default IP address of the router.
- Now, mark the checkbox beside ‘I have read and accepted the License Terms for using this software’. Once done, click ‘Next’ to proceed.
Important NOTE: If you wish to set up the router manually and bypass the smart setup wizard, then click on the link ‘Manual Configuration’ at the bottom. Alternatively, on some Linksys WiFi routers you will see a checkbox ‘I want to skip Setup and configure my router manually’. Select this option and click ‘Next’.
- If the smart setup screen does display, press the reset button at the back of the router for 20 seconds. Once done, release it.
- If no internet connection is detected, then there are chances that your internet cable is not connected correctly. To fix this issue follow the suggested troubleshooting steps on the screen to resolve your connection problem instantly. Once done, click Next.
- Now, in the ‘updates’ for your router window, the install future router updates automatically is checked by default in order to allow automatic updates.
- You can uncheck it to control an Auto-Update. On the other hand, you can also enable this option again after you log into the router’s setup page and after that, click ‘Next’ to proceed.
- Type your network name (SSID) and password in the provided fields. Once done, click ‘Next’.
Important TIP: If you are making use of a wireless computer for setup, you will receive a message to reconnect to your home network. Here, you have to connect your wireless computer to the new wireless settings.
- Enter your router password in ‘create a router password’ field and after that click Next.
- If you see a positive message that your router is set up properly, then you can also complete the process of Linksys Range Extender Setup Manually. Also, remember that the router admin password as well as the new WiFi settings will be displayed. Once done, click ‘Next’ to complete the setup.
- At last, you will be redirected to create a Linksys smart WiFi account page for remote access and Linksys Extender Setup.
For instructions on how to create an account, call our tech support team on toll-free number or visit our website extenderlinksyssetup.info.
Congrats! You have successfully set up your Linksys smart WiFi router using the smart setup wizard.