Christmas is celebrated annually on the 25th of December by billions of people around the world. This festival commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ. Christmas is celebrated not only by the Christian community, but also by non-christians around the world. Public holiday is declared by various national governments on this day, which also corresponds to the date of the winter solstice on the Roman calendar. Gift giving, Christmas card exchanging, Christmas music and caroling and various Christmas decorations are some of the modern customs of this holiday. The famous personality fictional character in Christmas festival is Santa Claus, also known as Father Christmas. He reflects the spirit of this festival and is seen as the emblem of peace, good cheer, good food, wine and revelry. He is associated with bringing gifts to children during Christmas.
The date of birth of Jesus is unclear because it is not mentioned in the Bible. So why was 25th December chosen? Various factors contributed to the selection of December as a date of celebration. It was chosen because it was the date of the winter solstice on the Roman calendar and it was nine months after March 25, a date linked to the conception of Jesus. The first recorded date of Christmas being celebrated on December 25th was in 336 A.D. December 25 was chosen because it coincided with the ancient pagan festival Saturnalia, which celebrated Saturn with partying, gambling and gift-giving. In the early 19th century, this festival was reconceived by some authors as a holiday which emphasized family, children, gift-giving and Santa Claus.
- Christmas tree: Pagans had strong faith in nurturing plants , specially in forests so they brought plants to their homes and decorated them.
- Christmas Presents: After celebrating festival for a very long time some customs are added and gift-giving was one of them.
- Nativity play : The viewing of the Nativity play is one of the oldest Christmastime traditions, and they remain popular in Europe. Several Christmas Eve and Christmas Day church services often came to feature Nativity plays, as do schools and theaters.
- Christmas carols : They focus on the celebration of the birth of Jesus, while others celebrate the Twelve Days of Christmas that range from 25 December to 5 January.
- Christmas Celebration: Christmas is celebrated with great joy on a global scale. Parties and function are organized in work places and home.
Some interesting facts about Christmas:
1.In America, 30-40 million trees are sold during the period of Christmas
2.In the Greek and Russian orthodox churches, Christmas is celebrated after 13 to 14 days after due difference in his calendar
3.Milk and cookies are left for Santa is because Dutch kids would leave food and drink for St. Nicholas on his feast day.
“White Christmas” is the best-selling song of all time.
4.Santa Claus predominantly worn blue and white and green previously and his traditional red suit is inspired from a 1930s Coca Cola advertisement.