What is a Pest Exterminator?
Let’s imagine your home has been invaded by some unwanted creatures – insects, bugs, roaches, rats, termites, etc. What would you do? It is not easy to drive these nasty creatures out on your own.
It makes sense to hire a renowned pest exterminator.
Is Pest Control and Exterminator the Same?
Although these terms sound the same, there’s a difference between what they do and how they operate.
A pest exterminator is to seek out and kill the pest or vermin at the premises. On the other hand, pest control services will kill insects, bugs, squirrels, and rats as needed (in a humane way).
A pest control service generally uses non-lethal techniques. They will keep the region clean and free of pests by removing food debris, various attractants, etc. They will also seal up all entry points such as space between door bottom, cracks in walls, open cervices etc. These services will recommend leaky faucets to keep thirsty vermin from entering home or force the existing ones to leave.
Reasons to Use a Pest Exterminator
It is not possible to handle all kinds of pest infestations by homeowners. Only professionals can drive the pests out of your home effectively. Their efforts will also help avoid recurring infestation. So make sure you choose a professional with years of experience in the industry.
The team of professionals working for pest extermination services will inspect your premises in detail to determine the extent of the issue. They will identify the best sites to position them for maximum efficiency.
Exterminators use bait treatment outside of the premises too. This will help kick any roaches commonly found outdoors (wood roaches). It is the duty of exterminator to clean the entire property. The team will reach out to the tight areas including crawl spaces. You may not be able to do this on your own. The professionals are trained, experienced and equipped with requisite tools for accomplishing the task successfully.
How to Prepare Home Before Pest Exterminator Arrives
Once you observe the signs of pest invasion, do not delay. Call the professionals as soon as possible. Here are some things you need to do before the team reaches your home:
- Put all toys and other items used by children away. The exterminators might spray these. The chemicals are harmful for kids and pets.
- Take a tour your home and the entire property to look for signs of infestation such as droppings of mouse/rat. You should also look for trails of ants. Informing the exterminators about these signs will help.
- Check for any signs of damage. Look for nasty pests eating your garden or chewing through the wooden fences.
- Get in touch with a gardener or a professional and get any tree or bushes that touch your property.
- Strictly avoid storing stacks of firewood close to your home. These are significant attractors for pests. They find this place good to hide and live in.
After the Spraying
As a responsible homeowner, you must know what to do after the exterminator sprays. Here’s what you need to do:
- Clean up spilled food, crumbs, spatters of oil/grease/marinade, drinks etc.
- Seal up all cracks around the house. This is important to discourage more bugs from getting in.
- Store food in airtight containers. Do not keep them in cardboard/paper box they come in.
- Stay vigilant and get in touch with your pest control professional for a follow-up treatment. Call the professional as soon as you see pests returning after the treatment.